[fedora-arm] Running the mainline linux-3.11-rcN kernel on Samsung Chromebook

William Cohen wcohen at redhat.com
Fri Aug 23 02:58:23 UTC 2013

I have moved to running the vanilla mainline linux-3.11-rcN kernel on my Samsung Chromebook. There are some notes on the steps that I used to get it running at:

 http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/chromebook/booting-3.11kernel.txt

The config file is a bit different than the fc20 kernel configuration.  I started from the "make exynos_defconfig" and working towards something that is closer to the fc20 configuration.  There are a couple drawbacks with this configuration.  The usb3 and wireless are not working in the configuration.  Also cool things like KVM virtualization are not working.

I was hoping to get the kernel to configure to support multiple ARM processors, but it looks like some patches will be needed to allow the ARCH_EXYNOS to be selected with ARCH_MULTI.  Right now it looks like they are exclusive.  The ARCH_EXYNOS also selects NEED_MACH_MEMORY_H which looks like there might be some arch specific includes as a result.

-Will