[fedora-arm] Fedora 19 does not boot on Pandaboard ES (Rev. B3)!

Robert Nelson robertcnelson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 20:14:03 UTC 2013

ugh.. CCing the list this time, sorry Franz for the repeat...

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Franz Ilano <franzila at lotkit.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> today I received my Pandaboard ES (Rev. B3) and I tried to use
> Fedora-Minimal-VFAT-armhfp-19-1-sda.raw.xz to boot it and I received on the
> serial console:
>
> U-Boot SPL 2013.04 (Jun 17 2013 - 12:42:04)
> OMAP4460 ES1.1
> SDRAM: identified size not same as expected size identified: 0 expected:
> 4000000
>
> Is there already a solution for this problem?
>
> Searching for the problem gave me some solutions/hints:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pandaboard/OWvyla72e00
> http://www.eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/PandaBoard#PandaBoard-FAQ
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pandaboard/n5h8wKJ84Ok
>
> Before trying myself I wonder if someone already has a ready-to-use solution
> for it? (Because it is my only ARM-system compiling might get complicated
> for me...)
>
> Best regards,
> Franz
>
> P.S.: Will this problem also happen in Fedora 20 or are the developers aware
> of this problem? (Or is Rev B3 a not-supported-out-of-the-box system?)

With Rev B3, the manufacture (Svtronics) used a newer version of
Elpida memory, as the version used on the original ES went EOL..

However this new memory only has 1 CS line, (where as the old module
had 2 lines)..

The u-boot fix for right now, is to disable: #define
CONFIG_SYS_EMIF_PRECALCULATED_TIMING_REGS
http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=include/configs/omap4_common.h;hb=HEAD#l243

and the memory will be auto-detected.  Memory patches where recently
posted for another omap4470 board on the u-boot mailing list that also
uses this same newer module, so at some point we should patch u-boot
to detect this revision via the gpio's and use the newer memory
settings.

Afterwhich u-boot will load the kernel just fine...

So, now for the really bad part...  Some versions of the linux kernel
also touch the CS lines..
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap4-panda-common.dtsi#n321

It's really great timing, as there really isn't any paid TI
omap4/panda developers left...

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson