[fedora-arm] Pandaboard ES and Fedora

Peter TB Brett peter at peter-b.co.uk
Fri Dec 20 12:56:58 UTC 2013

[ Resending, this time to list ]

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 12:52:30 +0000, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Peter TB Brett <peter at peter-b.co.uk>
>> Have you by any chance collated any information on what exactly "not
>> working" entails during your experiments?  I'd really like to avoid
>> duplicating any work that other people have already done.  At the moment
>> I'd be happy just to get the kernel to boot to a shell on a serial
>> console...!
>
> Well the current status for 3.11+ is that there's no output on the
> serial console, it doesn't boot, or at least appear to boot with
> anything on any console.

Well, that sucks.

> [snip]
>
>> Are you still stuck on the memory chip issues, or have those now been
>> fixed?
>
> Well at least for me on the ES I never had that working on the
> 3.7-3.10 releases that would vaguely sort of attempt to boot on my
> devices. In theory the DT should possibly resolve those issues but as
> we're not getting even to the point I had with 3.7-3.10 it's not under
> consideration. From my PoV we need to get to the point where we're at
> least getting console output.
>
> I poke at it randomly but my time is limited and there's a lot newer
> platforms that are also needing my time.

Okay, that's more-or-less completely useless to me.  Without proper support
from TI engineers (and probably SVTronics too) I doubt I'd be able to do
anything useful towards getting it working.  Maybe our stack of Pandaboards
are best used to prop doors open.  I have probably got a few day to spend
poking, but I'd need some pointers because I've done very little kernel
work.

I guess our best bet for our application will be to get Beaglebone Blacks
instead, but it's very disappointing because they really don't have
anything like as good a specification as the Pandaboards and there's a
pretty long lead time at the moment. :-(

Dr Peter Brett
http://peter-b.co.uk/