[fedora-arm] Fedora 20 for Raspberry Pi????

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Fri Dec 27 09:53:54 UTC 2013

On 12/27/2013 09:48 AM, Steve Underwood wrote:
> On 12/27/2013 05:23 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:

>>> I disagree that it is even a problem; except in a very small number of
>>> cases where it causes a measurable slowdown.
>>
>> It's a more philosophical issue - since alignment issues arguably
>> arise from poor programming practice in the first place, should there
>> be pressure to not produce code that suffers from such issues?
 >
> If you make an x86 machine work through alignment issues in software,
> rather than let the hardware sort it out, you will pay a speed penalty.

How is transparent alignment fixup going to give you back the
performance you lose from accesses straddling cache lines?

> In a lot of protocol code misalignment is forced upon you by the
> protocol, and sorting it out in software can lead to a *considerable*
> speed penalty.

Fair, I can see this being one case where alignment auto-fixup is
beneficial, but how many commonly used protocols are there where this is
actually a problem? Has anyone ever assessed this comprehensively? Is
there a list somewhere?

Gordan