[fedora-arm] Hardware list - Re: Fedora 20 for Raspberry Pi????

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 16:22:58 UTC 2013

>>> Is there a hardware list of arm v7 systems that people have gotten
>>> fedora on?  I did a quick search, but I've rarely been good a
>>> effective searches...
>>
>> This is the list of what is supported by Fedora:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM
>>
>> Remixes are covered here:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/F19/Remixes
>>
>> But if you mean what ARM hardware has anyone ever tried to run Fedora
>> on and maybe got something working by hacking around, I don't think
>> that exists.
>>
>> Rich.
>>
> Don't put too much faith in that list of supported hardware. For example,
> right now it says the BeagleBone Black is a supported device, and yet the
> Fedora 20 distribution is currently unusable on one of these boards, due to
> a kernel oops problem. The betas were OK, and hopefully the issue will soon
> be fixed, but the standard distribution will just make you sad.

It will be fixed in what ever the next kernel update is after
3.12.6-300 or if you want to try a scratch build use the 3.12.6-300 at
this link.

http://pbrobinson.fedorapeople.org/arm-kernel/

> When most people seem the term "supported" they expect the stuff has been
> checked out reasonably well, and most things are known to work OK. In the
> context of ARM Fedora it seems to mean that at least one person is working
> with the platform, even if its still very much a work in progress.

It's a matter of what can be tested and supported with the limited
resources we have. We have a fairly strict rule of "only in the
upstream kernel" to ensure we don't need to manage 100s of patchsets
as we don't have the resources to deal with that and it's very much
not Fedora.

As a result of this and the ongoing upstream changes it does mean that
things do break at times. The omap4 devices such as pandaboard are a
good example here.

In the case of the BeagleBone Black it's support still isn't all
upstream. We've been working with the maintainers and manufacturers of
the device to get this resolved but it's only happened recently and
while they are working to get things upstream there's still a patch of
3100+ lines that we need to carry and need to manually rebase with
each release.

I do it as I get time and can test but unfortunately at times my
$dayjob and real life takes over. If you wish to step up and assist
with this process the help would be greatly appreciated.

The main Fedora kernel, of which we are a part, has never stopped
shipping an entire update for a single piece of hardware. This is the
case with x86 devices as well so we're no different here.