[fedora-arm] 4 port ethernet

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 22:58:04 UTC 2013

> If you are refering to: http://openblocks.plathome.com/products/ax3/
>
> $740 is beyond my budget.
>
> the mirabox is also a bit pricy:
>
> http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/MiraBox
>
> But then probably most stuff like this will be more than $50 :)

Exactly, 4 port gig devices won't be cheap, even on x86 you'll likely
be looking in the multiple 100s of dollars.

> And your search foo vastly exceeds mine.  All I find is:
>
> http://www.banggood.com/ENC28J60-Ethernet-Network-Module-SPI-Port-25MHZ-For-51-AVR-ARM-PIC-p-74609.html?currency=USD&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_content=miko_ruby&utm_campaign=Electronic-xie-us&gclid=CLG87qaYxLsCFbBFMgodHTcA4g
>
> Can I stack a few of these together?

You're unlikely to get more than a few MB over a SPI port.

> Or:
>
> http://www.marvell.com/switching/link-street/
>
> Can I hack this to put Fedora on it?  Actually, I will be seeing a number of
> Marvel people at IEEE 802 meeting in a month.  I should see if they can get
> me some raw hardware to play with :)

There's no details there as to what the ARM chips actually are but the
reference to 150mhz makes it seem unlikely.

> I am going to ask around on the cubieboard forums to see if anyone there
> might know how to build on ethernet.

You might want to look at the Utilite, the standard and pro both have
2x Gb ethernet (although I believe one of the ports might be limited
in throughput) and then adding extra ports by USB. Ultimately if you
need a device with 4x ethernet on a budget I think your only option is
to get the most powerful device you can afford and add the extra ports
by usb as it'll give you best bang for your buck although personally I
slice up a single pci-e attached Gb interface on my Trimslice using
vlans which gives me basically the same.