[fedora-arm] Fedora packaging process

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 11:22:48 UTC 2013

>> A package is built by a packager, preferably in a chroot built by mock.
>> Once this is built and tested, the spec, patchs and source are commited in git
>> and tagged,the package is built once again in koji, it is then submitted as an
>> update to a stable branch or added to rawhide, depending which target was
>> specified. For a stable branch, the package is put in the updates-testing repo.
>>
>> Users have the ability to grade and comment an update.
>>
> Nice feature.

So I didn't cover bodhi, the updates platform, or the way the updates
process happens because I wasn't sure of the context of your
questions.

>> Once a sufficient delay has passed, the update is pushed in the updates repo.
>>
> Is there any idea on how long the "normal" delay is?

It depends. There's a karma system so people can up/down the karma.
The person submitting the package can set the value for karma but the
default is 3. If it gets 3 positive karmas it get promoted from
testing -> stable. If it gets 3 negative it gets dropped and the
maintainer has to fix and resubmit.

Without karma a standard package requires 7 days (in fact it's really
7 update pushes but they're usually daily) in testing before it can be
pushed to stable. If it's a "Critical path" package it requires 14
days.

In reality something that a lot of people use such as kernel/firefox
etc are often pushed to stable before they make it to testing because
people manually pull the packages from koji and apply karma on that.
This isn't necessarily a good thing though.

On ARM we then use a script to sync the koji tag status between
mainline and secondary for the packages that have been built.