[fedora-arm] Kernel-kirkwood 3.7.6-201 failing to boot

Quentin Armitage quentin at armitage.org.uk
Wed Feb 13 17:28:47 UTC 2013

I have installed kernel-kirkwood-3.7.6-201.armv5tel on three Dreamplugs,
and none of them will boot, although they successfully boot 3.7.5-201.

The last messages on the console during the boot process are:

> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

Is there any way of finding out any more information about what is going
on or why it is just hanging?

When the Dreamplugs booted the 3.7.5-201 kernel I was a bit surprised
since  http://www.serverphorums.com/read.php?12,475386
and other web pages suggest that Sheeva/Guru/Dreamplugs won't boot with
the factory uboot when kernel configuration parameter
CONFIG_ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT=y (I am using the factory u-boot).

Could it be that the above is the problem I am experiencing with
3.7.6-201 but for some reason it does not occur with 3.7.5-201?

If the answer is to update u-boot, is there a recommended image
available to install?

Any help with identifying the problem (and better still resolving it!)
would be much appreciated.

Quentin Armitage