[fedora-arm] Fedora 18 on beagleboard XM boot issue

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 12:39:58 UTC 2013

>>> Well I hate for my first post to be a dump, but such is life. I
>>> downloaded
>>> Fedora 18 from

>>> and specifically

>>> I have run Fedora 17 on the board, so I know how to correctly write the
>>> image to the sd card.
>>>
>>> This is all the output I have to the serial port after booting:

>> I believe we might have an issue with the MMC card being detected,
>> unfortunately I've not had time to properly debug the issue on mine as
>> yet.
>>
>> Peter
>>
> The Fedora 17 installation on my Beagleboard XM broke today after a yum
> update. It can't seem to see and use the SD card properly. I thought I'd try
> Fedora 18, and it fails in the same way. I tried several different makes and
> models of SD card and they all fail in the same way.
>
> Does anyone have Fedora 18 running properly on a Beagleboard XM? Is so what
> model of SD card are you using?

It's not an issue with the SD card. There were changes made in the
kernel that meant the kernel didn't work. With a 3.8/3.9 kernel when
used with a dtb file the F-18 image boots fine off the MMC card but
the USB is non functional which means you don't have networking
either.

The issues with the USB when used in conjunction with DTB have been
resolved in 3.10 and as of yesterday I have my beagle xM booting with
usb. I've got one outstanding issue to resolve as the usb hub isn't
powering up but usb is detected and seems to work OK.

We won't be supporting any of the beagle* platforms out of the gate on
F-19 but I plan to do a remix which includes the 3.10 kernel which I'm
hoping will work with all the beagle* platforms. Once F19 is rebased
to 3.10 this should then continue on as a standard kernel with luck.

I'll send out a separate announcement once I have something for wider testing.