[fedora-arm] Automatic AArch64 bootstrap daily update for June 30, 2013

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue Jul 2 08:09:58 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 10:31:06AM -0700, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> On 06/30/2013 04:59 AM, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >   I have been watching the automatic mails since they were introduced,
> >(thanks I now have yet another in memory counter, I was actually
> >mentally happy when it crossed 4000 thinking we're getting closer to
> >50%). What is the limitating factor ? I don't think there is a too
> >big depth of package dependencies, so if the main factor isn't some
> >lack of computing power, I would have assumed that unlocking some
> >key package (e.g. python, gtk libs, ...) would allow some quick
> >progresses, but it smells like it's progressing purely lineary. Is
> >that dependant on converting each of the package (like auto* updates
> >when they lack aarch64 support ?)
> >   Cole (I assume it's mostly you based on mails and commits samples
> >I saw), would you share the story there ?
>
> Not sure who Cole is.

 Cole Robinson, he commited spec fixes for aarch64 in my packages :-)

> Progress is currently limited by number of builders.  There are
> about 300 source rpms in the build queue at present and more being
> added as deps get built.  As we get deeper into the queue the
> packages remaining tend to have a wider array of dependencies and
> take longer to build. Remember all these builds are being done by
> aarch64 simulation, so installing and linking with a wider array of
> libraries has a material impact on build time.

  okay

> There are still some packages that once built will unlock a large
> number of additional builds.  The single biggest blocker today is
> openjdk. We're working on bringing it in.  Unlocking ghc (waiting on
> llvm which is waiting on gcc 4.8.1) and erlang would also unlock
> many.
>
> There are a number of packages that have been attempted, but failed
> to build.  Everybody is welcome to grab one of these and fix it-
> don't let us ARM team members claim all the honour!  The list of
> broken packages is here:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/AArch64/Stage4_Problem_Packages

  I looked at a couple, both were configure not recognizing the
aarch64 architecture (xalan and xerces),

> Quick start guide for contributors is here:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/AArch64/QuickStart

  Definitely non-trivial, allows to get a better understanding of the
task !

  thanks for the explanations !

Daniel

veillard at redhat.com  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/