[fedora-arm] Mirabox notes

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Fri Jul 5 15:24:20 UTC 2013

Hey folks,

I've not had as much time as I wanted to play with the Mirabox. I'm
taking this one over to the UK to give to Peter in a few hours, and I've
ordered myself another one so that I can help get it working. It's not a
high priority, but I agree that this is a nice device for F20.

In the absence of dtb support in the U-Boot, and given the ugly way the
storage is setup via USB, I'm just hacking together a test environment
that isn't using a-b-c. I use the Minimal VFAT image with a microSD card
inside an SD Card adapter (for my laptop), delete the first two
partitions, then re-create them of even size (about 256M each). Then I
format the first partition using ext2 as the filesystem.

I prep a suitable mvebu kernel by appending the dtb (using the non-lpae
kernel as that is still in prep upstream):

sudo sh -c "cat vmlinuz-$version.fc19.armv7hl
dtb-$version.fc19.armv7hl/armada-370-mirabox.dtb
>vmlinuz-$version.fc19.armv7hl.mirabox"

sudo mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x00008000 -e
0x00008000 -n $version.fc19.armv7hl.mirabox -d
vmlinuz-$version.fc19.armv7hl.mirabox uImage-$version.fc19.armv7hl.mirabox

Then I copy this (renamed to uImage), and the uInitrd onto the first
ext2 partition. Inserting into the Mirabox, I set the following U-Boot
environmental parameters to boot the result:

setenv bootcmd 'usb start; ext2load usb 1:1 0x02000000 uImage; ext2load
usb 1:1 0x02800000 uInitrd; bootm 0x02000000 0x02800000'
setenv bootargs 'ro rootwait root=/dev/sdb3 console=ttyS0,115200'

These are just rough notes. Ultimately, we'd want dtb support in the
U-Boot, and we'd want to have a-b-c learn about this particular
armada-370 variant. I've poked at a-b-c a couple of times but honestly
didn't go too far down that path as it's not going to be supportable
yet. You'd certainly want to change the 370 load addresses at least.

Jon.