[fedora-arm] Is it time to get an arm notebook?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Jul 30 13:35:08 UTC 2013

On 07/30/2013 02:25 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>> I need to replace my Lenovo x120e duo core Fedora (F17 still) notebook soon;
>> I am getting USB errors...
>>
>> So can I get a comparable arm notebook to get better battery etc and put F19
>> on it?  And will I get enough apps (I really only need fairly 'basic'
>> 'office' apps) at this time.  Oh and 'cheap' (< $400), 200+Gb, and keyboard
>> is manditory :)
>>
>> I was pointed to the Asus TF700T, but it is only a 10" display.
>>
>> My search fu is typically weak, and I have not found a list of systems to
>> evaluate that I could consider.
> I personally don't think it's there yet. Probably the closest is the
> ARM Chromebook but the desktop experience isn't great due to the lack
> of half decent publicly available (open source or otherwise) graphics
> drivers.

Thanks.  I will try and live with this box for a bit longer. Perhaps get
a new drive to put F19 on instead of risking an upgrade.  Then wait for
F20 and look around again.

And for years I ran Centos on my notebooks before I finally took the
dive to Fedora for the notebook and Centos for the servers.  I think
that was back in F9 days.  So I can live with less than decent.