[fedora-arm] f19 systemd doesn't load firmware on chromebook

Jeffrey Bastian jbastian at redhat.com
Tue Jun 4 16:23:49 UTC 2013

I tried upgrading to Fedora 19 Beta on my Samsung Chromebook and now it
fails to load the firmware for the wifi chip:

  mwifiex_sdio mmc2:0001:1: Failed to get firmware mrvl/sd8797_uapsta.bin

I have verified the file exists in /lib/firmware.

Jon Disnard told me on IRC this is due to some recent changes in the
kernel and systemd where the kernel now loads firmware directly instead
of handing it off to userspace.  The problem is the Chromebook is
running the stock 3.4.0 kernel from ChromeOS which does not have these
recent changes.

So, I guess to fix it, we need a special build of systemd that still
loads firmware, or we need a native Fedora kernel with Exynos5 support?

It looks like systemd just needs to be built with
  configure --with-firmware-path=/usr/lib/firmware ...

I'll try that and report back.

Jeff