[fedora-arm] F-18 trimslice images are DOA

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Sun Mar 17 23:07:23 UTC 2013

On 03/17/2013 02:59 PM, Hans de Goede wrote:
[long story about trimslice support nightmware]
> So is this all a bit mysterious yes, still could we've done better?
> yes!

Yes, please join the thread on how to handle dtbs and the transition.
The situation in F18 isn't very good, but we can do much better in F19
if we act now.

> I had already updated to the dtb capable firmware before I begun,

Which is your problem.  The shipped image only works with the 2010
firmware.  Once you move to a newer firmware you need to move to a newer
kernel (new firmware plus old kernel prevents usb sata disks from being
detected.

> so if the dtbs/tegra20-trimslice.dtb file would have been
> in the image as it should have been, everything would have worked
> in one go.

Adding an appropriate dtbs symlink is documented on the wiki, in
conjunction with updating the kernel.

> That would have helped me, but not users who have not updated
> the firmware. The wiki-page says that the firmware update is
> needed when you do a kernel update, IOW it implies that the GA
> images will work with old firmware, which they don't, since the
> initrd seems to not get loaded, which breaks even mmc booting,
> because we specify root by UUID which requires an initrd.

The 2010 firmware works with the GA image.  The 2012 firmware (512MB)
works with the 3.7 and 3.8 kernels after creating the dtbs symlink.  The
boot.scr doesn't work with the 3.6 kernel on the 2012 firmware though-
you have to use uboot 2010 + kernel 3.6 or uboot 2012 + kernel 3.7+dtb
symlink.

> Assuming we're going with the wiki instructions, for sdcard
> users we've 2 options:
> 1) Treat them the same as usb-disk users, see below
> 2) Provide an updated boot.cmd.mmc0 and boot.scr.mmc0 for them,
> which removes the use of the dtb, and specifies root as
> root=/dev/mmcblk0p3. Idem with mmc1 for micro-sd users (needs
> to be tested).
>
> For usb users we need the initrd, which for some reason is
> not working when not loading the dtb ??? And loading the
> dtb means new firmware. So we need to add instructions for
> usb-disk users to *first* upgrade the firmware, and also
> to add the missing dtb file to the image before trying
> to boot it.

The right solution for F19 is to make an auto-detecting boot.scr which
loads the right combination of files.  F18 is shipped and works as
expected (Though it seems the old kernel + new uboot incompatibility is
not well explained).

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com