[fedora-arm] F19: uImage load addresses with unified kernel

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Wed Mar 27 00:20:15 UTC 2013

On 03/26/2013 05:04 PM, Graeme Russ wrote:
> Hi Brendan,
>
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Brendan Conoboy <blc at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 03/26/2013 04:49 PM, Graeme Russ wrote:
>>>
>>> 4. Relocatable kernel (like x86)
>>
>> If I understand correctly it already is relocatable.  This is simply the
>> address that uboot is instructed to load the kernel into memory at.
>
> So why worry? Just have the load address in the U-Boot environment.

Because uboot's bootm does not handling the relocation?

> Not 100% sure the mechanics of U-Boot loading an ARM kernel but I
> think it just loads it blindly where it is told to (i.e. does not
> analyse the header)

That would make more sense (This was my understanding as well,
actually), but we're still having an issue: The uImage header, stored in
RAM, has a load address that is wrong for some platforms.  Unless we're
going to change that with an in-uboot memory editor, bootm will honor
the address in that header and the boot will fail.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com