[fedora-arm] Any opinions on ODROID-XU ?

Jon jdisnard at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 15:45:02 UTC 2013

I decided to avoid this one, and instead wait for the next Chromebook with 5420.
Here is a rough list of my reasons:

This board has the Exynos 5410, an octo core big.LITTLE with virt extensions.
There was a nasty rumor about 5410, evidently it had problems WRT to
cluster migration (switching cores).

Samsung announced the 5420 a short while later, which was marketed as
having improved benchmarks, faster clocks speed, etc.
The rumor mill was speculating Samsung corrected the bugs in 5410.

Also the 5410 uses PowerVR, and the new stuff is Mali.
These both suck, but arguably Mali sucks less.

Then there is the Hardkernel folks.
They have somebody over there that likes Fedora, has in the past
released Fedora remix.
That is really cool!

I've also heard the HK folks have problems up-streaming or supporting
their kernels.
They were characterized as more interested  in selling boards than
supporting them.
I've no  idea if that is true or not, but I trust the (unnamed) source
of this rumor.

My guess is there was a really good deal on surplus 5410 chips, really
good deal!
Blow out prices. ;-)

It does look like  a great board though, but buyer beware!

my .02 bits

-Jon