[fedora-arm] ARM & KVM : KVM_RUN returns -ENXIO

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Sep 10 20:30:45 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 02:32:55PM -0400, William Cohen wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the links.  I will get back to ARM once I've got libguestfs
working on PPC64 ...

In the meantime:

> I tried to run a couple of the systemtap virtualization examples on
> the host
> (https://sourceware.org/systemtap/examples/keyword-index.html#VIRTUALIZATION).
> However, it looks like the some of the kernel tracepoint that are
> available for x86: kernel.trace("kvm_entry") and
> kernel.trace("kvm_exit") are not available on my kernel. However, I
> do see the trace points defined on:
> http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v3.11/arch/arm/kvm/trace.h#L12 And look
> to be used in the 3.11 kernel.

ARM KVM seems to be completely different from x86 KVM (and
incidentally different from PPC's 2 different types of KVM).  They all
seem to just share a rough outline of userspace API.

Anyway, I was going to suggest that you use libguestfs to test KVM on
ARM.  It's extremely easy to fire up a VM (eg: 'libguestfs-test-tool'
or 'guestfish run ...').

Rich.