[fedora-arm] Update on Allwinner / sunxi u-boot support

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Fri Aug 1 07:57:20 UTC 2014

On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 00:20:19 +0200
Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 07/31/2014 02:58 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:16:00 +0200
> > Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> A quick update on this, Stephen Warren (nvidia) has posted an
> >> updated version of your "config: introduce a generic $bootcmd",
> >> and that just got Acked, so hopefully that will make it into
> >> v2014.10:
> >
> >> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/375060/
> >
> >> It would be nice to also sunxi converted to this upstream.
> >
> >> This means that you need to post a conversion patch this weekend
> >> the latest, otherwise it will be too late for the freeze (freezes
> >> in u-boot are based on the posting of v1 of a patch).
> >
> >> I can try to do this myself this weekend, but chances are that
> >> I won't have time for this.
> >
> > I can try and get something together for you. I was not planning on
> > using 2014.10 at all. But I think that given whats going in, we
> > should move to it. I do need to get a Fedora 21 Test Compose out
> > this week. sorry for the slow response, because i was directly
> > copied on the email it went though an unusual path of my procmail
> > recipes and ended up in a folder I do not often check. as it gets
> > mostly spam.
>
> Ok, so I've managed to get write a patch for this myself, currently it
> only sets the dtb filename for the bananapi, I will add to all the
> other boards tomorrow and then submit it upstream, in the mean time
> you can find it here:
>
> https://github.com/jwrdegoede/u-boot-sunxi/commits/next
>
> The last commit there is a slightly cleaned-up version of your:
> "automatically add console= to bootline when not existing"
>
> patch, I would also like to submit that one upstream, may I add
> your (Dennis)' Signed-off-by to it ?

NAK, I was planning to drop the patch entirely, while its useful in
some cases, it breaks things like plymouth working, as well it will
force anaconda installs to always be text over the serial port.
wandboard and cubox-i for instance boot happily without a console= line
and you get plymouth on the screen when video is initialised. having it
add the console line if u-boot has the console set to serial would be
okay. I think it needs some more thought and careful planning.

Dennis