[fedora-arm] Cubieboard 2 compatible kernel package

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 11:55:03 UTC 2014

Hi,

> I have a headless cubieboard 2 running a 3.4 kernel that came with the
> board, but a Fedora rootfs already.
>
> It's been pretty workable, but now I need to compile an OOT kernel module,
> and that's a big mess with the magic 3.4 kernel. The defconfig it was built
> with has gone 404, although a tarball of the sources (with different
> defconfigs) exists.
>
> So after reading the megathreads here about cubieboard 2 support working, I
> went to look for a rawhide kernel package and give it a try.
>
> However after looking at Wikis that are out of date compared to the mailing
> list, and an "Arm Koji" that only has 64-bit arm binaries in the kernel
> package, I have no idea where to go to get the latest armhf kernel package,
> U-Boot pieces etc.

ARMv7 was promoted to a primary architecture with Fedora 20 so all
ARMv7 packages are part of mainline Fedora so you get them from the
same place as x86

> I think this respin concept is not a good idea, I see rotting one-off
> "respins" including one from Feb for Cubieboard. But all I want is to
> upgrade the 3.4 kernel to use a Fedora one with latest upstream pieces. My
> fedora rootfs is already in good shape.

Use F-21 or rawhide images, the process is outlined here [1]

> What steps should someone in this situation take to align themselves with
> latest armv7 hf kernel and boot-related pieces that will work on Cubieboard
> 2?

Kernel is upstream. We don't currently have a uboot that supports the
Cubieboard 2 but that will come as part of the uboot 2014.10-rc2
release that should be in Fedora in 3-4 weeks.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Rawhide/Installation