[fedora-arm] XFS on Fedora i686, armv7hl

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Feb 27 19:47:15 UTC 2014

On Feb 27, 2014, at 12:38 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2014, at 8:06 AM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen at sandeen.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2/26/14, 11:37 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Fedora is considering XFS as their default file system. They support
>>> three primary architectures: x86_64, i686, and armv7hl.  Do XFS devs
>>> have any reservations about XFS as a default file system on either
>>> i686, or arm?
>>
>> As Dave said, we rely on others to do ARM testing for the most part,
>> though I've certainly jumped in and debugged some issues from time
>> to time.
>>
>> It'd be super if Fedora could run the xfstests test suite on arm
>> as part of QE.  I'd be more than happy to help get that started
>> if people are interested.
>
> I don't know that Fedora QA has the resources to do this, but I'll cc the Fedora test@ (QA) arm@ lists. If these are highly automatable tests it might be possible, if they have the hardware. More likely I think it's that we need some ARM community folks to look at splitting up some of this work.
>
> I'm not sure yet what concerns the ARM group might have with XFS either as this hasn't been decided, but the Fedora Server product working group is slightly leaning toward XFS by default. Performance and CPU hit wise on x86_64, XFS seems to match up well with ext4 and maybe even a bit better ratio of throughput/CPUtime for booting workload (systemd is parallel!) so if were the same on ARM XFS could work out slightly better for them.

FYI for some continuity for the ARM folks. The Server Working Group is leaning toward XFS on LVM by default, but it hasn't been decided. This would affect all primary archs the way things are currently structured. I'm not sure if it's typical on ARM to even depend on the Anaconda UI (?) rather than kickstart installs, so this may be a total non-factor.

So there was some concern raised by Nirik about XFS on i686, and I decided to ask about it on the upstream XFS list, and included arm in the inquiry. That response is here:
http://oss.sgi.com/pipermail/xfs/2014-February/034588.html

And the above snippet that starts this thread on the arm list is a branch of that conversation.

Chris Murphy