[fedora-arm] F21 disk image idea

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jan 9 15:37:03 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 04:30:31PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Sorry for jumping in at them middle of the thread, I skimmed
> over it, without realizing that this is something I'm very much
> interested in. As you probably have seen I plan to add
> official allwinner support to F-21:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/AllwinnerSunxiSupport
>
> I personally like what I'm doing with the Allwinner remix images
> better then the 2 images to dd idea.
>
> What I've there is:
> 1) A boards dir on the boot partition which contains
> u-boot .bin files as well as dtb files for all supported
> boards
>
> 2) A script "select-boards.sh" which can be run from the sdcard
> when inserted into any linux machine (*), which then presents
> a (ncurses) menu to the user allowing the user to select his
> board, and then does all the needed setup to get the image
> ready for that board.

While there is nothing wrong with select-boards.sh (I've used it
myself), I hate having to examine a script that I have to run as root
on my host computer, that is going to overwrite some /dev/sdX device.

I'd prefer the ~100 boot images in a directory option, if it meant
that I could just use regular unxz/dd commands.

Rich.