[fedora-arm] F21 disk image idea

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Fri Jan 10 16:24:43 UTC 2014

> I'd prefer:
>
>> download f21-xfce.img
>> download fedora-arm-bbb.img
>> write fedora-arm-bbb.img to same block device
>> partprobe
>> write f21-xfce.img to partition 3 of block device
>
> because:
>
> (a) the generic Fedora image just becomes a simple root filesystem
> (ie. a direct ext4 image) so it's easy for end users to understand
> what it is.  And (b) instead of shipping the Fedora image as a
> filesystem image, we could consider shipping it as a tar.xz file,
> which is useful for other cases such as containers and qemu user
> emulation.

Yeah, going this way does provide a lot more flexibility, but at the
cost of more room for user error (tar more so).  You could even take it
a step further and have /boot appear on the platform image (as opposed
to OS), such that images could be reissued post-GA with new kernels that
support a wider range of platforms.  Also good for remixes.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com