[fedora-arm] Cross-compiling, chroot and qemu-user-mode

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Fri Jan 10 17:23:35 UTC 2014

I'm trying to find some docs on this, and although
this method seems to be reasonably well documented
and supported on Debian based distributions, I'm
largely drawing a blank for Fedora-like distros.

To get the gist of it, a brief crash-course for
Debian is here:

https://wiki.debian.org/QemuUserEmulation

What I would like to do is have an arm distro
chroot on my x86 box for fast cross-compiling.
The chroot is a fedora ARM rootfs, running via
qemu-user-mode for individual binaries being
executed. That means effectively what the
Debian guide above does, but with an extra
twist - I want gcc-* packages to be native
rather than emulated for extra compile speed. In
other words, I want /usr/bin/gcc to be a native
binary producing non-native code.

This would allow for doing really fast bulk
builds that only need to be verified on
the last pass in fully native build mode.

Is there a Fedora based guide for this, along
with the pre-built binaries? Or am I on my
own with this?