[fedora-arm] Audio in Fedora 20 ARM

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 06:21:05 UTC 2014

>> > I bought an Olimex A10S-OlinuXino-MICRO because it had a line in audio
>> > port.  (I want to use the device to do audio recording from a mixing
>> > board.)
>> >
>> > I became very excited when I found that there was a disk image
>> > specifically for the Allwinner boards since I use Fedora on my machines
>> > at home.  I became a little less excited when I read that only audio
>> > output is supported.  It looks like reading from the line in audio port
>> > is not supported.
>> >
>> > Did I understand correctly?  What is the reason for this?
>>
>> Got a link to where you read this?
>
> Actually, what I read was on a page for the A10 board.  It said that
> output to analog audio and HDMI audio was supported.  Really the only
> thing to conclude is that analog audio in had not been tested.

Still no link to the details?

> I hooked the board up to a tape deck and attempted to record with
> Audacity and it failed.  (My actual reason for thinking that is isn't
> supported.)

Have you tried a mic? Was the tape deck via an amp or direct?

>> Ultimately there's no particular reason. It could be that the upstream
>> kernel driver doesn't support it yet, or there's not the glue in the
>> DeviceTree. The Fedora 20 remix, the one I assume you're referring to,
>> is based on a very old 3.4.x kernel series. Rawhide, which should
>> support this device with an appropriate uboot, has the 3.16 kernel
>> which supports this device which might have what you're after.
>
> I will look more carefully at the instructions for rebuilding the Remix
> and see if I can set it up to use the kernel from rawhide.  I need to
> set up for rebuilding anyway so that I can make sure the image has what
> I need without the stuff I don't need.

You'd be better of using rawhide directly, it's very stable and it's
easier for us to assist and fix any problems you may encounter.
Enhancements are very much focused on rawhide now.

>> Ultimately I suggest testing it and seeing how you get on. The
>> AllWinner device support is fairly fast moving and there's literally
>> 100s of them with all sorts of configurations and it's impossible to
>> test all combinations of use cases. It'll be easier to work out what's
>> missing once you have the base install on there.
>>
>> Peter
>
> Thanks for your quick answer.  I noticed that AllWinner support is being
> added to QEMU ARM, too.

Not sure what the gives you in terms of your ultimate goal.