[fedora-arm] Update on Allwinner / sunxi u-boot support

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Thu Jul 31 22:20:19 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 07/31/2014 02:58 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:16:00 +0200
> Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>
>> On 07/30/2014 10:48 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> Hi Dennis et al,
>>>
>>> As you may have heard Ian Campbell and I have become u-boot
>>> custodians for sunxi boards.
>>>
>>> As such we've been working hard to get sunxi support into
>>> shape for the upcoming v2014.10 release.
>>>
>>> Yesterday sun4i (the original A10) and sun5i (A13 / A10s)
>>> support got merged to complete the existing sun7i (A20) support,
>>> as well as most of the PSCI code needed to do smp + hyp mode on
>>> the A20.
>>>
>>> I've just send a pull-request adding AHCI, EHCI and PSCI support +
>>> support for 14 new boards. You can find the branch for this here:
>>>
>>> http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-sunxi.git;a=shortlog
>>>
>>> So assuming that F-21 will use v2014.10 that should put us in
>>> pretty good shape wrt sunxi support. I would like to make sure
>>> that Fedora can use upstream u-boot as-is. AFAIK we still need
>>> to do some work wrt unified distro support /
>>> config_distro_defaults.h e.g. I think we need to specify the dts
>>> file name for each board config somewhere for thinks to work ootb,
>>> correct ?
>>>
>>> Dennis, can you provide a minimal patch on top of the above branch
>>> needed to get things to work ootb on one board, e.g. the
>>> cubietruck ?
>
>> A quick update on this, Stephen Warren (nvidia) has posted an updated
>> version of your "config: introduce a generic $bootcmd", and that just
>> got Acked, so hopefully that will make it into v2014.10:
>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/375060/
>
>> It would be nice to also sunxi converted to this upstream.
>
>> This means that you need to post a conversion patch this weekend
>> the latest, otherwise it will be too late for the freeze (freezes
>> in u-boot are based on the posting of v1 of a patch).
>
>> I can try to do this myself this weekend, but chances are that
>> I won't have time for this.
>
> I can try and get something together for you. I was not planning on
> using 2014.10 at all. But I think that given whats going in, we should
> move to it. I do need to get a Fedora 21 Test Compose out this week.
> sorry for the slow response, because i was directly copied on the email
> it went though an unusual path of my procmail recipes and ended up in a
> folder I do not often check. as it gets mostly spam.

Ok, so I've managed to get write a patch for this myself, currently it
only sets the dtb filename for the bananapi, I will add to all the
other boards tomorrow and then submit it upstream, in the mean time
you can find it here:

https://github.com/jwrdegoede/u-boot-sunxi/commits/next

The last commit there is a slightly cleaned-up version of your:
"automatically add console= to bootline when not existing"

patch, I would also like to submit that one upstream, may I add
your (Dennis)' Signed-off-by to it ?

Regards,

Hans