[fedora-arm] F20 on BeagleBone (Original white, not Black)

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 19:17:38 UTC 2014

> tps65217 was the clue I needed. Fedora config has it building as a
> module. But the module is not included in the initramfs, so not
> available at boot time.
>
> Solution: Either rebuild the Fedora kernel with
> "CONFIG_REGULATOR_TPS65217=y" or edit /etc/dracut.conf, 'add_drivers
> +="tps65217-regulator"' and rebuild initramfs/uinitrd, gets the Fedora
> kernel booting.

The real question here is why it works just fine on the Black and not
on the White. Looking at the dts there's some differences between the
two so it could be there's something missing or different here at that
your two solutions above are actually just working around a bug
elsewhere.

> Now need to figure out where the power management has gone. I suspect
> your kernels have it built-in and Fedora has "CONFIG_XXX=m", so more
> module nonsense.

If you don't want to deal with "module nonsense" you can go a use a
device specific distro such as yocto where everything is built
specifically for every device and you don't need to deal with the
nonsense of a device generic distro. If we were to build in every
driver into the kernel we would either have a kernel 10 times the size
we have now or 100 kernels. Neither of those are scalable for a distro
aiming to be generic for 1000s of devices OOTB.