[fedora-arm] PandaBoard on Fedora 20 GA - Now working!!

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Wed Mar 26 09:15:57 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-26 07:38, Peter TB Brett wrote:

> I'd like to build a new armv7hl image that includes the latest packages
> from updates-stable, so that I can directly create an SD card that can
> boot
> our various Pandaboards.
>
> I tried searching around the Fedora wiki and with Google, but I didn't
> find
> anything that looked like a HOWTO for this.  Maybe I'm not looking for
> the
> right search terms.  Can you please point me in the direction of some
> docs
> that'll help me with this?

You can do two things:

1) Starting with an existing image, do the following:

mount /path/to/existing.img /mnt
mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
chroot /mnt

Then create a .repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d/ for the repository you
want to include if it isn't already there, and do

yum update
yum install <extra packages you want to install>

2) Starting from scratch, you can do:

yum --installroot=/path/to/new/rootfs/subdirectory \
  glibc filesystem coreutils initscripts \
  <plus any other packages you want in your image>

Adjust configuration files for console and network to suit
your intended device and add any binary blobs you might need
for it. Also add any booting related configuration (e.g.
uboot config if appropriate to your device).

Prepare an image file of the suitable size:
dd if=/dev/zero of=rootfs.img bs=1M count=0 seek=4095
mkfs.ext4 rootfs.img
mount -o loop rootfs.img /mnt
tar -C /path/to/new/rootfs/subdirectory -cf - | tar -C /mnt -xf -
umount /mnt

You can then dd rootfs.img to your boot media.