[fedora-arm] Struggling to boot Novena (IMX6) board with Fedora ARM kernels

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 16:14:14 UTC 2014

Hi folks!

(explicit CC appreciated, I'm subscribed in "no-mail" mode, thanks!)

I've been struggling for a few evenings trying to boot a fedora debug
kernel on a Novena (imx6) board. This board does boot with a much
non-debug kernel (it boots into Debian).

I have a nice kernel RPM with all the pactches needed, but it's a
debug rawhide kernel so pretty bloated. One of my hurdles right now is
that compressed kernel+initramfs size not fitting the mem segment
available: the board locks up if I load anything past 18M

Is this a frequent problem with u-boot boards and debug kernels? (This
shows my OLPC-distortion-field, I'm used to OpenFirmware).

I wonder, where can I poke to find out what's at 18M and can I put the
kernel + initramfs ina safe spot past that? This board has 4GB...

I grepped around the uboot source used here. It has the
CONFIG_SYS_SKIP_ARM_RELOCATION patch but it does not make use of it,
so AIUI it should put itself at the end of whatever RAM it knows how
to map...

thanks,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 -  ask interesting questions