[fedora-arm] Help getting Fedora 21 to work on Banana PI

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 12:28:24 UTC 2015

Hi Vincenzo,

> I am Vincenzo and I am a blind student at university. I am not a linux expert and this is my first experience at using Fedora
>
> I’ve read that Fedora 21 should support the Banana PI. Since it ships with a quite updated kernel (for my project I need kernel 3.10+), I’d like to install it on my BPI. However, I have an important issue.
>
> I’ve tried following the procedure documented in the wiki to copy the appropriate u-boot for bpi in the root partition, but I am not able to manipulate the content of the SD card after burning the image on it. In fact, MAC OS X cannot mount it properly (even after installing paragon app to read ext4 partitions) and my debian box does not have a SD card reader. I’ve also tried using a vm on my macintosh to mount the SD card, but it fails as well. This is not an hardware problem, since the SD card works properly.
>
> So, long story short, is there any way I could get a Fedora 21 minimal image ready to use, so that it can boot on bpi without doing any manipulations after burning it to the SD card? Also, I have no console access to the bpi, since I have to administer it via ssh…

Probably the best way to write out the image is using the scripted
option. I'm not sure if it's been tested on OSX (and I don't have one
to test with) but the process used in the script is very generic and
should work with most unix based systems. Make sure you unmount any
exisiting file systems on the card before you run the script

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/F21/Installation#Scripted

Without a serial console you'll need to do an extra step which is
outlined in the FAQ with the details of what's needed.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/F21/Installation#FAQ

With Fedora 22 there will be basic console support so if you have
access to a HDMI display you might wish to look at that as an option
too.