[fedora-arm] Fedora-Minimal-armhfp-22_Alpha-TC1-sda.raw.xz on Cubietruck

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Feb 19 19:02:16 UTC 2015

On 02/19/2015 01:16 PM, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2015, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> Well I have a few things perhaps of interest.
>>
>> I have problems with the firstboot setup and root password.  I am using the
>> installer script and the --norootpass option.  When I am prompted at the
>> setup, I ignore the setting of the root password. Fortunately I also did not
>> set my user password and made my user have admin priv.  Because when I got to
>> login, it wanted a password for root and I could not figure out what.  In the
>> past I would just provide 'root' for the login and I was good.  So I logged in
>> with my user and did a 'sudo passwd root' to set the root password to what I
>> wanted.
> I have to assume systemd is starting something like:
>
> 	/bin/bash -i
>
> rather than the former (and familiar) root shell without
> login authentication.  The same behaviour may be done under
> older initscripts
>
> And put this in /etc/inittab if you want the behavior where it
> is not prompted:
>
> 1:2345:respawn:/bin/bash -i
>

> Robert -- could you check your system and see, and advise the
> list of the results of your examination?

Help me a little here.  Do I build a SD card, mount it and look in
/etc/inittab?  Or do I log in with my user account and see what it has
set for root?  The install script does:

# Remove root password
if [ "$NOROOTPASS" = "1" ] ; then
             echo "= Removing the root password."
             sudo sed -i 's/root:x:/root::/' /tmp/root/etc/passwd
fi

But what does the firstboot setup do that overrides this?