[fedora-arm] Fedora-Minimal-armhfp-22_Alpha-TC1-sda.raw.xz on Cubietruck

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Feb 19 22:31:13 UTC 2015

On 02/19/2015 05:16 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 15:56:05 -0500
> Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

>>> I have to assume systemd is starting something like:
>>>
>>> 	/bin/bash -i
>>>
>>> rather than the former (and familiar) root shell without
>>> login authentication.  The same behaviour may be done under
>>> older initscripts
>>>
>>> And put this in /etc/inittab if you want the behavior where it
>>> is not prompted:
>>>
>>> 1:2345:respawn:/bin/bash -i
>>>

>>> Robert -- could you check your system and see, and advise the
>>> list of the results of your examination?
>> So again the installer script does:
>>
>>               sudo sed -i 's/root:x:/root::/' /tmp/root/etc/passwd
>>

>> This results in /etc/passwd entry for root being:
>>
>> root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
>>
>> This is from checking before installing the card in the Cubie.  But
>> after running firstboot, and NOT responding to the 'root password not
>> set', I see from logging in as me with admin priv:
>>
>> root:!!$1$oIqdSlOQ$AkrPPHJnLMO2g7CbEklLn1:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
>>
>> So firstboot is sliding something in for the root password,
>> overriding the nopassword option in the installer script.
>>
>> I suppose if I had quit out of the setup, it might have left root
>> alone...
>>
>> And what decides if there is the serial console setup or the
>> graphical config?   The presense of the serial console connection?
> you should use initial-setup to configure root password, timezone,
> language  and user if desired. the option in the installer script is
> for use in cases where you can't access initial-setup.  I would suggest
> that going forward you just use initial-setup as that is how things are
> designed to be done.

But then I have to figure out a password that is accepted by the new
very strict rules!

Passwords that in the past scored strong are now weak.  Etc.

If you skip the initial-setup password and do it with passwd, you can
'get by' with the old rules.

I actually think there is an error in the password strenght logic. I
suspect it is looking at the text and saying, boy there are words there
so it is crackable.  Even if there are 6 words, each of different
length.  I know this as the 6 word one I tried got flagged as weak.