[fedora-arm] Flash plugin?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Feb 24 16:32:00 UTC 2015

On 02/24/2015 11:22 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On 24 February 2015 at 06:01, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com
> <mailto:rgm at htt-consult.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 02/24/2015 06:53 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>
>                 Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com
>                 <mailto:rgm at htt-consult.com>> wrote:
>
>                     Went looking for the flash-plugin for arm, and
>                     don't find one.
>                     get.adobe.com/flashplayer
>                     <http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer> thinks I need
>                     the i386 version.
>
>                 afaik none exists. I have heard of versions in the
>                 past but they were
>                 tied closely to proprietary X drivers and hardware
>                 video acceleration.
>                 and wouldnt work with what is in the fedora kernel. I
>                 personally do not
>                 have flash installed on my machines anymore.
>

>             What do you do for sites like cnn.com <http://cnn.com>? My
>             bank's home page uses flash, and I
>             get errors (of course you have flash!) before I can get to
>             the login spot.
>
>             Also if I am going to give this system to my parents, they
>             will not know how
>             to deal with a browser that does not handle flash.
>
>         Ultimately what do you expect us to do? This is out of our
>         hands, go
>         and complain to Adobe.
>

>     Mention alternatives.
>

> Most of the alternatives are tied to the x86_xx platform because the
> actionscript (what flash runs) was written from an all the world is
> x86_32 world. There are a lot of hacks that Chrome had to do to get
> flash sort of working in the google droid and apple completely dropped
> it from their implementations because it eats battery and heats up the
> cpu like a furnace. The mozilla alternative is a 80% solution of
> translating actionscript to javascript but the 20% is usually the
> stuff you are going to find is being used for some reason on the app.
>
> What you are running into is what happens when you deal with an
> alternative architecture. There is going to be whole classes of
> software that you are not going to be able to work with at some point.
> In most cases you are going to have to reach out and do more research
> on google and such because the pool of people inside the channel are
> usually focused on the 'core' bits versus the 'general experience'. To
> them the core bits are already taking up all their time and it is what
> that excited them to work here. General experience areas don't excite
> them so they don't care if flash, some special java app, etc isn't
> working.

Understood.  The hope is that as armv7 becomes more 'mainstream', more
work will be done for it.

I tested shumway and the first video I go to, on cnn.com supposedly from
NASA, is a proprietary, non-standard video format.

ARGH!!  :)

Next I will go to NASA directly, see if the same happens there, and if
so, perhaps NASA will be more responsive than I would expect CNN to be.

Definitely understand we are early in this process.  It will take a
while before much of the world is interested in non-android alternatives
to the Intel/MS-Apple world.

Given that I am finally able even to test graphical apps on my
Cubieboards, I get that things are really just starting.  The first step
IS to move away from remixes to easier installs and use on a wide
assortment of platforms.