[fedora-arm] Customize Fedora 21 ISO

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Jan 16 14:06:02 UTC 2015

On 01/16/2015 12:02 AM, Jon Masters wrote:
> On 01/15/2015 10:57 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 3:34 AM, Brooks Hu <brooks.hu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Thanks Dennis.
>>>
>>> I did following experiment:
>>>
>>> Mounted ISO onto a local directory, changed to the directory, did nothing,
>>> run "createrepo --update .", but I found the files under repodata changed,
>>> including the checksum in filename. Is that expected? I suppose they
>>> shouldn't be changed.
>>>
>>> I am readying the manual of pungi.
>>>
>>> One more question: do you have any good links about customizing a ISO? I
>>> found a few pages, but they seem not to work.
>> You can't really customise a Fedora installer iso. You basically have
>> two options:
>> 1) Regenerate the iso from clean
>> 2) Use the existing installer iso but point it to a new
>> updated/changed repository.
> Depending what you're doing, the latter (2) might really be what you
> want. Especially if you use a Kickstart file, there is rarely a need to
> actually respin the entire media.

I had to do this years ago with Centos 4 to build an iso that would even
start on a old piece of hardware.  It was really painful and Karanbir
was a big help at the time.  Doubt if I can find my notes. These days,
as long as I can boot into a netinstal and maybe grab a kickstart file,
do see needing a custom iso.  Those are for times when you can't even
get through the boot process.