[fedora-arm] Install to CubieTruck SSD

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Mar 7 14:48:36 UTC 2015

On Sat, Mar 07, 2015 at 12:05:09PM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > I'm reinstalling my Cubietruck with a shiny new SSD.  The Fedora
> > installation instructions describe writing the disk image to a MicroSD
> > card and booting from that.  I wonder if anyone has any tips for
> > either installing directly on the SSD or how to convert an SD card
> > installation to SSD?
>
> You can just write the uboot to a tiny mSD card (even an old 64Mb one
> from an old phone) and then put the rest on the SSD. You can do this
> by dding a standard image onto the SSD or you can use a PXE install
> with kickstart over a network if you've got that setup.

Hmmm .. results unclear.  It looks as if the u-boot cannot see the
SATA drive at all.  Also u-boot has apparently no commands that I can
find to list SATA devices (whereas there are commands for listing mmc
devices).

The boot messages are attached if you have any idea.

How does u-boot know which boot partition to use?  Is the boot UUID
encoded somewhere in u-boot, or does it just scan all devices for
something that looks bootable?

The SSD is a known-good, ordinary Intel SSD, and is obviously plugged
in.

Rich.

U-Boot SPL 2014.10 (Nov 11 2014 - 07:05:50)
DRAM: 2048 MiB
CPU: 960000000Hz, AXI/AHB/APB: 3/2/2

U-Boot 2014.10 (Nov 11 2014 - 07:05:50) Allwinner Technology

CPU:   Allwinner A20 (SUN7I)
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  2 GiB
MMC:   SUNXI SD/MMC: 0
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
SCSI:  SUNXI SCSI INIT
SATA link 0 timeout.
AHCI 0001.0100 32 slots 1 ports 3 Gbps 0x1 impl SATA mode
flags: ncq stag pm led clo only pmp pio slum part ccc apst
Net:   dwmac.1c50000
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc0 is current device
Scanning mmc 0:1...
** No partition table - mmc 0 **
** No partition table - mmc 0 **
** No partition table - mmc 0 **
** No partition table - mmc 0 **
** No partition table - mmc 0 **
** No partition table - mmc 0 **
** No partition table - mmc 0 **
** No partition table - mmc 0 **
scanning bus for devices...
timeout exit!
Found 0 device(s).

SCSI device 0:
    Device 0: not available
(Re)start USB...
USB0:   USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus 0 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
USB1:   USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus 1 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
       scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found

USB device 0: unknown device
dwmac.1c50000 Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete........ done
Speed: 1000, full duplex
BOOTP broadcast 1
BOOTP broadcast 2
DHCP client bound to address 192.168.0.92 (278 ms)
Using dwmac.1c50000 device
TFTP from server 192.168.0.254; our IP address is 192.168.0.92
Filename 'pxelinux.0'.

[and from here it goes into an unsuccessful PXE boot]