[fedora-arm] u-boot plans for Fedora 22 ?

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Fri May 1 13:56:58 UTC 2015

Hi,

<snip>

> I have to take this back, it seems that this build is appending:
>
> " console=ttyS0,115200"
>
> To the kernel cmdline, I've just double-checked and this is not upstream
> behavior, is this being done by Fedora specific patches ?
>
> This breaks kernel output and systemd status messages output on
> tty0 / the hdmi output, resulting in a blackscreen until gdm
> starts.
>
> As discussed a while back, the proper way to do is set
> stdout-path in the devicetree to the serial console, then the
> kernel will automatically make it a second console, next to tty0
> and output messages on both, and systemd will output messages
> and spawn gettys on both too.

This in my testing is not working unless i add console=ttySO,115200 to the
bootargs I get nothing out at all on the serial port, though in u-boot it had
stdin as serial and stdout as vga.  what are all the possible options and how
should things just work? the current patch is not a regression for Fedora.  I
want to make things just work for all.

> Upstream u-boot is already setting stdout-path for all sunxi
> devices, so from a sunxi pov the appending of " console=ttyS0,115200"
> is a regression. If this is done for some other boards, it would
> be better to either patch those boards dts files to set stdout-path,
> or u-boot to set stdout-path rather then appending " console=ttyS0,115200"
> and breaking video output. If you can tell me which specific boards
> need work here I can whip up a patch (for others to test).

We should patch all boards to be the same. but it needs to work.

Regards

Dennis