[fedora-arm] Pidora -

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Fri May 8 14:09:33 UTC 2015

On Friday, May 08, 2015 12:03:57 PM Clive Messer wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-05-07 at 18:35 +1000, Adrian wrote:
> > Clive's FC21 images at www.digitaldreamtime.co.uk/images/Fidora/21
> > are fantastic ,
> >
> > & looking forward to build the PI2 F22 images here on that base in the
> > near future.
> >
> > The minimal images running systemd D-Star repeater services are the most
> > stable we have ever seen.
>
> Adrian,
>
> Not sure whether I'll be able to post them this weekend, but I'd
> appreciate you (and anyone else who wants to) testing my Pi2B F22 BETA
> remix images when I upload them.
>
> While I look forward to "official" F22 support for Pi2B, I have
> concerns..... Don't know exactly what and how they intend to do it, but
> suspect it will be mostly paying lip service using upstream uboot and
> kernel, so there will still be "space" for a remix, which actually works
> the way users want it to work, rather than "it barely boots". (AFAIK,
> there is still no support for bootable overlay support if you chain-load
> upstream uboot and if kernel support is based on mainline upstream plus
> the bcm2836 patches Eric Anholt submitted to the linux-arm mailing list
> last month, saying you support the Pi2B but only using one CPU core of
> it and not the 4 cores the hardware provides is going to result in
> someone needing to don the flame-proof overalls!)
>
> Regards
>
> Clive
Clive,

Fedora ARM has never paid lip service to any platform. We have always taken
the harder/longer road by ensuring that we get things upstream and use what is
upstream.  We were the first distro to adopt a multi-platform kernel and to
adopt devicetree ,  why because it was the right things, it did mean that
things were a bit rough as things were hashed out and fixed. but in the long
term it is the right things for Fedora as well as all other distros. we have
the Pi 2 enabled in rawhide's u-boot and will be enabling the kernel support
as it gets upstream.  where all distros can easily support it and have things
working.  I am not sure what you mean by bootable overlay support. Hardware
Vendors are getting much better about having their systems supported upstream
than they used to be because they see a value proposition in doing so. A big
part of that is because of the work we have done in Fedora. Is it perfect? no,
but it is much better and getting better all the time.   There is no reason we
will not support all the hardware in the Pi, but it is going to take people
getting the support upstream.  saying we will pay lip server is very rude and
disrespectful.

Regards

Dennis