[fedora-arm] Fedora 23 for aarch64 is here!

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 09:44:56 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 5:13 AM, Clive Messer <clive.m.messer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-11-03 at 17:38 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> Fedora 23 for aarch64 released
>
> At the risk of incurring your wrath......
>
> If I understand this correctly, the two "supported" platforms are....
>
> a) AMD Seattle 1100
> b) Applied Micro X-Gene
c) 96boards Enterprise edition. I don't have one but it's been tested
and they'll allegedly be available soon (they might even be, I've not
looked) and will with OOTB with Fedora 23 when available. Link below
says around $300
d) virt emulation. I know it's not a "board" useful for a lot of
situations but a lot of people find it useful

> Now, please correct me if I am wrong, (it's been a while since I
> looked), but ISTR that the AMD dev kit costs $3000 and the X-Gene, a
> mere, $2500.
>
> I understand why RedHat might want to target those "business" class
> solutions, but surely the 64 bit hardware that Fedora, (Fedora distro,
> not RedHat disto), needs to be targeting with "official" out-of-the-box
> support are the 96Boards, ie. HiKey and Dragonboard.... Hardware that
> is actually accessible to "ordinary" people to tinker with, at $100 a
> pop!

We have a remix available for the Dragonboard, I'm not sure of the
exact details but I believe there's issues with redistribution of some
firmware that stops us supporting it officially.

There's support coming for other low end boards like the Hikey in the
F-23 cycle. This is a mostly community lead effort, yes part of my
$dayjob is to do the release engineering component of it (composing
installers, signing packages, getting releases to mirrors etc) but
actual device bringup/support, kernel stuff etc is all on my own time,
of which I've had very little spare of late. I'm not going to
apologize for that, others interested are able to contribute.

I'm personally looking to get some of the rockchips 64 bit stuff to
hack on and support, I believe when they're available in the $100
range [3] and the upstream kernel support looks to have landed in 4.3
[2].

> I am just stating this as an observation. I have no axe to grind or
> financial interest in any of the above.

Yet you com in very confrontational about it, it's an open source
project where most people are personal contributors and not employed
by Red Hat, you and anyone else is free to provide patches,
documentation, testing etc as they or their sponsors (generally
companies) wish them to do so. The "enterprise" team at Red Hat
obviously care about their product set, I'm not going to apologize for
that, I have little to do with them as it's not my remit, there are
other companies working to contribute stuff, I'll leave them to
comment as they wish (but I somehow doubt they would wish to).

Peter

[1] http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/06/28/amd-announces-96boards-enterprise-edition-server-board-powered-by-opteron-a1100-processor/
[2] http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/11/04/linux-4-3-release-main-changes-arm-and-mips-architectures/
[3] http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015SNXJH4