[fedora-arm] Fedora 23 for aarch64 is here!

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Nov 4 14:04:42 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, November 04, 2015 05:13:58 AM Clive Messer wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-11-03 at 17:38 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > Fedora 23 for aarch64 released
>
> At the risk of incurring your wrath......
>
> If I understand this correctly, the two "supported" platforms are....
>
> a) AMD Seattle 1100
> b) Applied Micro X-Gene
>
> Now, please correct me if I am wrong, (it's been a while since I
> looked), but ISTR that the AMD dev kit costs $3000 and the X-Gene, a
> mere, $2500.
>
> I understand why RedHat might want to target those "business" class
> solutions, but surely the 64 bit hardware that Fedora, (Fedora distro,
> not RedHat disto), needs to be targeting with "official" out-of-the-box
> support are the 96Boards, ie. HiKey and Dragonboard.... Hardware that
> is actually accessible to "ordinary" people to tinker with, at $100 a
> pop!
We want to support the hikey etc boards, support for them is still not yet
upstream. then there is the issues that without nand, spi, etc flash for
uefi/u-boot you get in a place where to support it you need to go a custom
route because the standard tools will not work.

> Every single person I have spoken to in the last few months, and by
> that I mean ordinary users on ordinary salaries, (not people getting
> given expensive hardware for free, or earning high-end salaries that
> can afford to buy $2500 boards), who are starting to look at 64 bit ARM
> hardware are buying one of the two 96Boards solutions, not the $$$$$$$
> "business class" development kits.
>
> I am just stating this as an observation. I have no axe to grind or
> financial interest in any of the above.

biggest issue with 96boards is the lack of upstream and standards support,
which is ironic when they aim to be a standard. for Fedora to support systems
they need to get support for their hardware upstream.

Dennis