[fedora-arm] Fedora 23 for aarch64 is here!

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Wed Nov 4 21:58:52 UTC 2015

On 11/04/2015 01:13 PM, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
> The problem is ARM and partners aren't delivering what was expected
> (promised?).
>
> I recall a presentation from a Red Hat employee where ARM had agreed
> that aarch64 needed a standard boot process so this craziness of
> needing custom boot software for every board could be a thing of the
> past.  Hasn't happened, hence the problems supporting the hardware
> that is available.
>
> There were also supposed to be standard sized motherboards with
> regular memory slots, etc. available by now, and they have failed.  We
> are now in to November and nothing has been announced, leaving me to
> conclude that nothing will ship this year.

AArch64 semiconductors who conform to the SBSA and SBBR specifications
and get their kernel patches upstream tend to work with Fedora.  Today
that means many Applied Micro X-Gene and AMD Seattle parts work
correctly with Fedora.  Semiconductors who haven't put their code
upstream or haven't conformed to the hardware and boot specifications
are going to require remixes at best.  Other semis are in process of
upstreaming, we may see Cavium support get in place in time for F24
for instance.

--
Brendan Conoboy / RHEL Development Coordinator / Red Hat, Inc.