[fedora-arm] System time

Scott M. Jones scott at aprr.org
Tue Sep 1 16:18:56 UTC 2015

> How is system time set?  Is ntpdate run after the network is ready?
> How long does it retry waiting for the network to be available?

Recent Fedora versions have switched from ntp to chronyd.  chronyd is
built for the laptop/tablet era where networks can come and go, and will
slam in a time as soon as it sees a network instead of waiting for the
clock to get stable.

> I have seen a number of challenges becuase the system time is bac at
> the epoch start as there is no battery rtc.  And  I wonder how many
> armv7 boards have a battery to maintain time across boots?

I bought a battery for my board, and yes this is a problem for ARM
boards, but I've also seen this issue on old Intel systems where the
BIOS battery has died.

-Scott