[fedora-arm] System time

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Tue Sep 1 18:38:21 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, September 01, 2015 01:03:03 PM Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 09/01/2015 12:14 PM, Robert Nelson wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>
wrote:
> >> How is system time set?  Is ntpdate run after the network is ready? How
> >> long does it retry waiting for the network to be available?
> >>
> >> I have seen a number of challenges becuase the system time is bac at the
> >> epoch start as there is no battery rtc.  And  I wonder how many armv7
> >> boards have a battery to maintain time across boots?
> >>
> >> Minimally, a process could right the time, in the proper format, to a
> >> file,
> >> say /etc/currenttime every 5 min and at shutdown.
> >>
> >> Then date can be run early in the boot process, piping this file in.  It
> >> would not be perfect and does not help, much for new installs, but better
> >> than epoch start.
> >>
> >> Plus /etc/currenttime can be at least set to the image build date/time so
> >> not even firstboot will be at epoch start.
> >
> > systemd v215+ has a nice feature to take care of this:
> >
> > systemctl enable systemd-timesyncd.service
>
> Thanks!  I see that this DOES work even when no network.  It would be
> good if the images came with this enabled and with the time set to the
> build date/time, so we had a better starting time a firstboot.

Without a battery backed RTC its really not that useful.  Picture 6 or 10
months after a release, does it matter if the time is half a year to a year
off or 35 years off?

I am just trying to understand what problem you think this solves. chronyd or
timesyncd should fix up the time as soon as you get a network connection.

Regards

Dennis