[fedora-arm] Not working as advertised - Re: System time

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Wed Sep 2 08:42:34 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 03:36:40PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Anyway.  If I boot up without a network connection, the time stays at
> Jan 1 1970.
>
> I then set the time with the 'date' command and did:
>
> touch /var/lib/systemd/clock
> chown systemd-timesync:systemd-timesync /var/lib/systemd/clock
>
> And rebooted.  Time is once again at Jan 1 1970.  I checked:
>
> # ls -ls /var/lib/systemd/
> total 16
> 4 drwxr-xr-x. 2 root             root             4096 Aug 23 13:39 catalog
> 0 -rw-r--r--. 1 systemd-timesync systemd-timesync    0 Sep  1 15:27 clock
> 4 drwxr-xr-x. 2 root             root             4096 May 21 15:06 coredump
> 4 -rw-------. 1 root             root              512 Jan  1  1970
> random-seed
> 4 drwxr-xr-x. 2 root             root             4096 Aug 23 13:58 timers
>

> So clock has a good timestamp.  Maybe the wrong chown names?  Or
> something still yet?

Is systemd-timesyncd actually running? You need to disable chronyd
first as the two services conflict with each other.

But you don't need to switch to timesyncd to initialize the system
time from a file on boot, chronyd will do that too with the -s option
when RTC is missing.

Create /etc/sysconfig/chronyd if it doesn't exist and put OPTIONS="-s"
there. It seems you do have an RTC, but you don't want to use it
as it keeps bad time, so you will also need to tell chronyd to ignore
it, for example by adding "rtcdevice /dev/nonexist" to
/etc/chrony.conf. On boot chronyd should now set the system time to
the modification time of /var/lib/chrony/drift.

--
Miroslav Lichvar