[fedora-arm] System Time

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Tue Sep 29 08:50:03 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 08:36:55AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 08:34:44AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > But anyway as systemd-timesyncd was pointed out in the other reply,
> > and it seems to be doing mostly the same as your technique, I guess we
> > need to find out if we can use that (probably it's just a matter of
> > enabling the service?).

chronyd can do that too, with the -s option it will set time to the
modification time of the drift file if there is no RTC and it can be
configured to ignore the RTC if it doesn't have battery, but this is
not enabled by default.

> Perhaps the answer is to split the two functions of systemd-timesyncd
> into two services?  The one for updating the time based on a newest
> file timestamp can run before / independent of the network.

That would be a good idea. Another possibility is to set the system
time in initramfs to the last mount time of the root filesystem. On
some systems this is enabled with the "fixrtc" kernel option.

--
Miroslav Lichvar