[fedora-astronomy] new to the list

Marek Mahut mmahut at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 14 16:28:07 UTC 2008

Maccy wrote:
> Hi all,

Hello Maccy,

> I have been following this project with interest for a short time. I am
> Systems Manager for the X-Ray and Observational Astronomy Group at the
> University of Leicester. We run Scientific Linux 4.6 on our desktop
> systems, mainly because I have 55+ systems to look after and I don't
> want to be upgrading them any more than every 12-18 months. Scientific
> Linux has proven to be very stable and trustworthy - it is of course a
> rebuild of the RHEL source.

This is great! Welcome to the list. I understand that the release cycle
is more focused on rapid development, see my notes about EPEL below.

> A Fedora Astronomy distro 'proper' would be great, in addition to the Live
> CD. Are there any plans for this? I would have to give it serious
> consideration if a large number of packages that we use here are included,
> such as the HEASOFT stuff, PyRAF/IRAF, and the Starlink Software
> Collection. The ESO Scisoft collection would be a brilliant inclusion.
> We have users with Mac and Windows laptops who I am sure would welcome the
> Live CD.

All packages on the Live CD will be also available as 'proper' package.
I think you could be interested in EPEL [1], I've packaged some software
as gnuradio for EPEL or I have plans to increase the number of packages
from Astronomy project there -- in this way you could install these
package even on SL.

> I know that a few of our UK counterparts are wholly using Fedora so I will
> bring the project to their attention in case they have not discovered it
> already.

Cool! More people would be certainly a good point.

> Unfortunately I cannot make any meetings on Saturday due to sports
> commitments but I will of course keep an eye on the mailing list.

:) You're right, sports are healthier that computers.

> Best regards,

Have a nice day!

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

--