[fedora-astronomy] Revised IRAF RPM

Ole Streicher debian-devel at liska.ath.cx
Fri Jun 7 19:33:01 UTC 2013

Hi Joseph and all,

Joseph Wang <joequant at gmail.com> writes:
> At https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1025783/iraf-2.16-3test.src.rpm

I used this as a base to get IRAF compiled. Although I did this under
Debian, I'd like to share the experiences here:

* Removing pkg/vocl/readline/ leaves vocl uncompilable. To fix this,
apply shared-readline.patch.

* Newer xmlrpc don't have a function xmlrpc_refcount(), which breaks
vendor/voclient/libsamp/librxpc compilation. shared-xmlrpc.patch fixes this.

* VO is not build. This is fixed with the build-vo.patch.

* I patched the build system to consequently use CC and CFLAGS.
  This is done with compiler-flags.patch. This allows to propagate
  the default flags set by the build system. Debian likes some
  hardening flags here, and takes some warnings as errors. The fixes
  for these errors are in fix_compiler_errors.patch.

* Moving the libc header files caused some dependency warnings. They
  are fixed with the fix-libc-deps.patch.

So far, IRAF compiles without errors. For the setup, I have set the
$iraf variable to /usr/share/iraf/. This leads to the problem that the
executables are not found since they are searched in the same directory.
The patch fhs.patch fixes this, together with the compliance to
freedesktop.org that I already mentioned.

So far, I can start cl, ecl, and vocl and do some of the tests in the
"Preliminary Test Procedure for IRAF" from 1997. Due to the lack of
xgterm, I couldn' test the graphical output (ds9 works, however).

What doesn't work is imcopy. Repeatedly running "imcopy dev$pix
image.short" results in

ecl> imcopy dev$pix image.short
dev$pix -> image.short
ERROR: No write permission on file (String_File)
ecl> imcopy dev$pix image.short
dev$pix -> image.short
ERROR: FXF: EOF encountered while reading FITS file (image.short)

A file "image.short.fits" is created, however it is an invalid fits file.

Can you check whether this works on Fedora, or with a binary
installation of IRAF?

Best regards

Ole

P.S. My git Repository can be found at
<http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-science/packages/iraf.git>
The Patches are in the subdir debian/patches/.