[fedora-astronomy] Packaging starlink for linux distributions

Joseph Wang joequant at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 08:44:40 UTC 2013

Just a heads up about packaging starlink for linux distributions.  I've
gotten starlink to compile and link using native libraries on Mageia, and
I've uploaded my changes to https://github.com/joequant/starlink.  I
haven't actually try to run any of the new executables, but one step at a
time.

The big bottleneck that I have right now is PGPLOT.  The trouble is that
PGPLOT seems to have a non-distro friendly non-commercial license that
would prevent it from being added to linux distros.

Fortunately, there is a drop in replacement for PGPLOT called pg2plplot
which links against PLplot which unlike PGPLOT is actively being
developed.  Unfortunately there are a lot of additional calls that haven't
been implemented yet,