[Fedora-Bangladesh] Problem while setting up TOR

Angel angel at linux.org.bd
Wed Jun 9 07:57:08 UTC 2010

Just follow me,

1. Remove the Tor repo from /etc/yum.repos.d/ . And clean the metadata, su
-c 'yum clean metadata' .

2. Uninstall polipo, su -c 'yum remove polipo' .

3. Install Tor and privoxy, su -c 'yum install tor privoxy'

4. Open the Privoxy config file for editing from /etc/privoxy.

      su -c 'gedit /etc/privoxy/config'

5. Comment out lines containing 'logfile logfile', 'jarfile jarfile',
'enable-remote-toggle', 'enable-remote-http-toggle', and
'enable-edit-actions' by prefixing their lines with a '#' character.

6. Add the following line to the config file:

      forward-socks4a / 127.0.0.1:9050 .

 8. Save and close the file.

 9. Restart the Privoxy and TOR services.

      cd /etc/init.d
      su -c 'service privoxy restart'
      su -c 'service tor restart'

10. Download and install the Firefox TorButton from Mozilla, and click
enable Tor to browse. This is totally optional. U can browse using Tor
without TorButton, all u have to do, under Firefox, go to the Edit menu >
Preferences > Advanced > Network > Settings > Manual Proxy Configuration >
http proxy > host: 127.0.0.1 port: 8118. And check use this Proxy Server for
all protocol.

11. Thats it.

PS: What did I always tell u? 1st check the repo for the software u want to
install.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Junayeed Ahnaf
<zombiegenerator at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was trying to setup TOR (doesn't matter why I just wanna do). But things
> get
> messed up. Let me tell you my steps first:
>
> **First I created a repo of TOR in my /etc/yum.repos.d/ with:
>
> [torproject]
> name=Tor and Vidalia
> enabled=1
> autorefresh=0
> baseurl=http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/rpm/fc12/
> type=rpm-md
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=
> http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/rpm/RPM-GPG-KEY-torproject.org
>
> **Then installed it with "yum install tor"
>
> **Uninstalled privoxy with "yum remove privoxy"
>
> **Installed polipo with "yum install polipo"
>
> **configured polipo with "nano /etc/polipo/config" (What is my current
> polipo
> configuration? check
> https://svn.torproject.org/svn/torbrowser/trunk/build-
> scripts/config/polipo.conf<https://svn.torproject.org/svn/torbrowser/trunk/build-%0Ascripts/config/polipo.conf>
> )
>
> **Problem is now, after issuing "/etc/init.d/polipo restart" this is
> happening:
>
> [root at localhost Nirjhor]# /etc/init.d/polipo restart
> Stopping polipo:                                           [FAILED]
> Starting polipo: Established listening socket on port 8118.
>
> ##Installed torbutton for firefox but can't browse anything with it. Also I
> want to configure opera to use TOR.
>
> Please guide me.................
> --
> Regards-
> Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor
> Documentation Team,
> Linux Mint Bangladesh,
> Bogra.

Angel
0DF8 3CD4 AFE3 68C6 2CDA 9F17 14B8 1A15 E5F7 73C2

Fedora -- Freedom² and rapid innovation