Intros and such - why are you here?

Sam Skipsey sskipsey at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 7 11:52:02 UTC 2013

Hi,

So, I'm Sam Skipsey, and I'm one of the "Data Experts" for GridPP, which is
the collaboration which provides the UK's contribution to compute and data
for the Large Hadron Collider, and other European grid computing projects.

We obviously deal with reasonably large amounts of data across the wider
grid, and within our larger sites (we have several sites in the UK which
have more than a PB of storage, the total capacity of GridPP is more than
20PB, and that of the worldwide grid is hundreds of PB according to my
monitoring). Our methods of data management and movement are a bit
different to some of the traditional Big Data models, for the most part,
but we're always interested in cross-fertilisation between projects that
manage lots of data. (And, of course, newer academic Big Data projects
might be better suited to approaches that we don't currently use.) A
majority of our install base uses Red Hat Enterprise Linux derivatives
(mostly Scientific Linux), so Fedora's approaches are also directly
interesting to us.

So, I'm here mostly observing to see what happens in the SIG, and might be
reporting back to our storage group in the UK.

Sam