Intros and such - why are you here?

Daniel Bruno dbruno at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 8 15:31:14 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm Daniel and I'm very interested in Cloud and Big Data technologies .
Actually i'm working in a project in the college that include Flume-NG,
Hadoop and Cassandra.Also I work in a company that develop search engines,
recommendations and other solutions to e-commerce, we serve the largest
e-commerce in latin america and others. Data is our business. :)

In Fedora as Ambassador, I'm a former member famsco and mentor to new
ambassadors in latam, also I help in the latam infrastructure and I
maintain some packages.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 7:59 PM, John Dulaney <jdulaney at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 04:09:04 -0700
> > From: Robyn Bergeron <robyn.bergeron at gmail.com>
> > To: bigdata at lists.fedoraproject.org
> > Subject: Intros and such - why are you here?
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Since this is a new SIG and all that, I thought it would be lovely to
> > perhaps introduce ourselves, and say a bit about why you're here and
> > interested. Whether you're already doing things in this area, you'd
> > like to learn about it, you want to do things, or you're just here to
> > observe, or any other reason - any reason is a great reason :)
> >
> > And I guess that means: I get to go first. Hah.
> >
> > So, a bit about me and my interests here:
> >
> > I'm Robyn, I'm the Fedora Project Leader, and I like to make new
> > things happen. :)
> >
> > Why big data? A few reasons:
> >
> > #1: I've always had a fascination with data and how it can be used as
> > part of a decision-making process. I believe that agility is one of
> > the most important differentiating factors for organizations. The
> > ability to do things quickly, identify key trends and data points, and
> > make decisions and act upon knowledge, enables organizations to move
> > more intelligently. And by intelligently I mean this: (a) Predicting
> > the right thing to do based upon patterns, (b) being able to detect
> > signs that you're doing the wrong thing - so that you can fix that
> > faster.
> >
> > The cloud brings us the ability to utilize, deploy, orchestrate
> > infrastructure more rapidly; having lots of data points, and the
> > ability to analyze that information, comes through big data. Putting
> > those two things together gets you to the point where you can analyze
> > faster, or on a more ad-hoc basis, or deliver the capability to
> > analyze random things more rapidly to the person who wants to act upon
> > information.
> >
> > #2: SCIENCE! I think it's interconnected hugely here. I like to think
> > that what we do in Fedora can help to change the world. There is more
> > information than ever about every little bit of the universe we live
> > in, and helping people to sort through that leads to making the world
> > a better place. I'll be passing out banjos and marshmallows for the
> > campfire at the end of our meeting. Kumbaya :)
> >
> > #3: I think that people like to tinker with and learn about new stuff,
> > and that Fedora is a great place to do that - "features" and "first"
> > are two of our awesome foundations. But I think that people are more
> > interested in "the new stuff" than they are interested in "what it
> > runs on" - so I hope that in bringing some interesting tools to
> > Fedora, and making them work well, we can inspire some new people to
> > use Fedora. And hopefully inspire them to also become contributors,
> > broaden the set of tools that we offer, give feedback about what we're
> > doing, and encourage them to share *what* and *how* they did things.
> >
> > And that was long-winded. So I'll stop there. :D
> >
> > Anyone else?

> [...]

Daniel Bruno
http://danielbruno.eti.br
Mentor of Fedora Ambassadors on Latin America
Fedora Latin America Infrastructure Team