Big Data Cloud Collaboration

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jun 15 20:45:31 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 03:35:02PM -0400, Erik Erlandson wrote:
> We would have some interest in images that include Spark capabilities.
> That might fall into the "hadoop ecosystem" category, although Spark can
> stand up independently as well.

We'll have a generic image which people can use to build anything they want
(via cloud-init and yum install). I'd like to see the big data image be as
useful as possible "out of the box" for a specific use of some sort. That
way, we can make Fedora as easy to use and deploy as possible for a specific
niche. If that's Spark, awesome. And once that's successful, we can expand
more into other niches.

For the future for more complicated things, we might want to look at using
the same mechanism Fedora Server is using for "server roles" (but still to
make images). For now, though, I think the approach is "whatever works". :)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>